Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Pigeon Forge, Tennessee holds a great many fond memories for me..., both as an adult, and as a young boy. It was a short trip from my childhood home in Kentucky, to the Great Smokey Mountains. My mom and dad would load-up my sisters, my brother, and I..., and off we would go toward a fun-filled week with about 20 of my mom's family in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

There would always be the annual trek over the mountains to Cherokee, North Carolina..., then days of fun exploring the shops & attractions back in Tennessee. My older sister, Sheila, and our first cousins Sharon and David, were allowed to go horseback riding into the mountains when we were finally teenagers..., a fact that usually drew fire from all the younger brothers, sisters, and cousins..., but, we were the oldest, thus the most trustworthy.

Once I had children of mine own, I was bound and determined to share some of the fun, and wonder, of the Great Smokey Mountains with my children, their cousins, and a few select friends. Dollywood and the Aquarium always seem to be the big drawing cards for the new generation.., but, we managed to work-in a few of the old attractions too. We made some terrific memories through the years.

Now..., I have grandchildren. With the fires burning in Tennessee, I worry about the folks who live and/or work there. I also worry about what memories my children's children might have the opportunity to enjoy...., what new memories my children might enjoy...., at my age..., I wonder if I will get to share their memories of Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Dollywood...., I wonder....,

No comments:

Post a Comment